Google’s Archive site for Shed Photos and Albums. This archive still shows new albums created so should allow access to any previous Shed Album or photo.
The following sub-pages provide an overview of some of the interesting activities and excursions the Shed has undertaken over the current and previous years.
Special Interest Groups
If you’re interested in leading/co-ordinating a SIG then please advise the Shed. We have also developed some special interest groups (SIGs), for things such as:
- Walking see the Walks pages
- Cycling see the Cycling pages
- Meccano – see below
- Coffee and Chat – see below
- Exercise Classes – These started in 2016 with several students from the Uni of Canberra running assessment sessions, then followed by Jon Beale running sessions every Friday morning before the Shed meeting. These were resurrected in 2019 with another student running similar sessions. These are being now run by Arthritis ACT every Fri from 7 Feb 2020 @ 8.30AM. They cost $10 per session. Here are some photos from the first session
Some groups have not taken off, are ended or inactive:
- Computers – Phil Laird – was meeting Wed 2.30PM at the Shed. However is finished. Notes from this SIG
- Healthy Eating Activity & Lifestyle – Bob Greeney – Was at CIT Fit & Well Gym at Bruce. Details below
- Majhong – John Canning. First day was Mon 16th June 2-4PM at the Shed. Now finished
- Men’s Sing Along – Geoff Grimmett – Now finished
- Bowls (several members still play but as independent players)
- Golfing (several members play and organise events between themselves)
- Photographic Group – Had one meeting on Tue 28 June 2016. See at the bottom
- Tennis – Bob Salmond was the co-ordinator of proposed social tennis. However it never got going.
11th Oct 2019 – Tori finished her stint (3rd May – 11th Oct 2019) with us as leader of the Exercise Group. The last class were held on Friday 11 October 8.30AM as Tori has started a new job. She will try and see if any UC Students or others may be willing to take on the task for us from early next year. Tori Montgomery-Martin from The Uni of Canberra ran these further exercise classes, similar to the ones provided in March 2016 by Jon Beale. Each session, including the assessment one, cost $5. It continued every Friday before the Shed Meeting. The previous Excercises in a pdf file format from June 2017 – Tori has had an expression of interest from Arthritis ACT in regard to taking over the group class. If they are able to, they have asked if it would be possible for Tori to pass on the pre-exercise screen information she collected so that they do not have to ask participants to fill them out again. The information would be copied and delivered in person and stored securely in the Arthritis Australia records. Tori needs to keep originals for her own records. If you do not wish your information shared with Arthritis Australia, please respond to this email by Friday 18 October. Pictures of Toris’ last exercise class
These are being now run Sophie Bullock of Arthritis ACT every Fri from 17 Jan 2020 @ 8.30AM. They cost $10 per session.
Coffee and Chat
Co-ordinator Mike Munk – Want to just sit down, relax and natter to a few good Shed mates? Then the Coffee and Chat SIG is for you! It meets weekly: Tuesday mornings at 10:00am at the Raiders Belconnen Club at Kippax. All Shed Members are most welcome to attend. Call Mike Munk on 0414 254 354 for more information or just turn up at 10:00am at the Raiders Belconnen Club. Stay for lunch too if you wish. Coffee is available for $2.50 and lunch for $14 ($12 if a senior)
Members of the Melba Shed go to three or more local primary schools each week to work one-on-one with students to build Meccano models. Student participants select & build a model to be made with the assistance & support of a volunteer. This mentoring program provides boys with friendly and positive experiences with older males, having fun constructing Meccano models in a group situation. It also focuses on the skills of perseverance, responsibility and public speaking. Participants have 10 one-hour sessions working with a mentor building a model At the end of the program the student demonstrates and describes their model to the rest of the school at assembly. This program is run through the Schools Volunteer Program of the ACT (SVPACT). (The above article is from Mount Rogers Primary School Webpage)
Bob Greeney has said overall covering the 8 schools in this program some 40% of the young participants are girls. 6 of the schools undertake the activity on Wed, whilst one does Tues and one Thurs. Harry Redfern is now heavily involved with some of the organising and has assisted 4 men from the Belconnen Bowling Club to help with Meccano mentoring at Charnwood/Dunlop school on Wednesday between 10:00 to 11:00. Contact Harry if you would like to help this program on 6254 6077 or email or Bob Greeney (Northside coordinator) on 6258 4152 or 0407 737 131, or or email: email@example.com and he will be very happy to arrange this introductory “observation‟ session. It only involves an hour or two once a week during school terms & our members greatly enjoy the experience & provide much appreciated assistance to the kids involved.
Ron Thomson offered to organise a social game of golf on Mondays or Tuesdays, each week to play at the Gungahlin Lakes Golf Course. Green fees are $26.00 for 18 holes. Naturally, “gentleman’s rules” apply and we would normally hit off early to beat the heat. If you are still interested then contact Ron on or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
20th Nov 2015 (Fri) – The 2015 Melba Shed Annual Golf Open Day was held at the Gungahlin Lakes Golf Course. A strong field of 5 elite golfers contested the event. Conditions were hot & very trying. Ted Tregrillas showed his real golfing talent on the 9th hole with a strong par to clinch the title of “ Melba Shed Open Golf Champion for 2015.” The runner up was Paul Taylor who won in a count back from Jim Grenfell with Geoff Grimmett & Ron Thomson well well back in the field Pictures
27th Nov 2014 (Thu) The 2nd Annual Melba Shed Memorial Invitational Open Golf tournament was held at Gungahlin Lakes with lunch after. There were 4 participants: Ron, Geoff Grimmett, Brian and Paul. Geoff Grimmett played superbly and won. Organised by Ron Thomson
28th Nov 2013 – 1st Melba Shed Memorial Invitational Golf Open – Geoff Grimmet was declared the winner after a count back. Five players hit off at Belconnen Magpies Golf Course on Friday morning, 28 November
18th April 2013 – The golf group had a round of golf with 6 members participating at the Gungahlin Lakes Golf Around Canberra
Golf in the Country Held | 13th Sep 2012 – The first Melba Shed Masters was held at the Braidwood Country Club on 13th Sep 2012 with 7 members (Harry R, Ron T, Ted T, Jim G, Allan S, Wally K, Geoff G) in inclement weather (ie bloody rain)
Completed or Inactive Groups
- Healthy Eating Activity and Lifestyle – Bob Greeney – started on 1 May 2014 10.30-12.45PM at the CIT Fit & Well Gym at Bruce. Now completed
- Mahjong – John Canning. Was active for a while occurring every 2nd Mon 2-4PM at the Shed. Lacking enough Shed members its become suspended
- Men’s Sing Along – Geoff Grimmett. Note this group has ceased for the time-being
- Tennis – Bob Salmond was the coordinater of Shed social tennis. It was originally planned for Friday mornings (weather permitting) when the club did not have excursions. The activity was to be held at Melba Tennis Courts (off Verbruggen Street, adjacent to the cricket field). Bob has a key to the courts. This didn’t take off so is currently inactive. If your interested then contact Bob Salmond on 0414.977.746 or email email@example.com
Lawn Bowls Group
When Harry Redfern made the offer to run a ‘get to know bowling’ morning for all Shed members on 20 May 2011 he didn’t realise that he would need to deal with more than one or two new recruits. At last count some eight Shedders – including Peter Mitchell, Jim Grenfell, Tony Capeder, Greg Worthington and Ted Tregillgas have all been spotted practicing on the greens under Harry’s keen eye. Pictures of Greg W, Peter, Tony, Ted and Jim on the green on 23 June 2011 Harry will be delighted if any other members are interested. Just talk to Harry at any Shed meeting. See more photos of the Shed bowling day
Phil Laird’s hope was that members will learn more about Windows, Apple and Android systems and extend this to include not only PCs and laptops but also Tablets and Phones as well and the software and applications that they all run. We’ll plan presentations on popular software packages and hopefully we’ll all learn how to make the most of the software we all use. Naturally this will include the Internet, cloud storage and processing, email systems and the like. They may even explore Facebook and Twitter | Computer Group Presentations & Handouts You can contact Phil on 0428 581 935
The Computer SIG has finished for the time being. Click HERE for documentation on earlier meetings. Phone Phil Laird on 0428 5821 935 for more information.
Tue 28 June 2016 – Photographic Special Interest Group – Luke Wensing & Martin van der Hoek talked about cameras and how to take better photos. Contact Luke on 0410 525 577, firstname.lastname@example.org or Martin on 6254 6568, email@example.com. Here you can read or download a summary of the talk and some further information about the Photographic SIG meeting